Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Unless I suddenly learn to speed-read...

A year ago I started keeping track of all the books I was reading. It was more an exercise in memory assistance than anything else; it seems impossible for me to remember exactly what I've read, particularly when people come up and ask me, "I'm looking for something to read. So, what have you read lately?" I find this lack of memory on my part highly reprehensible, mostly because I aim to be a librarian, and librarians are always supposed to have lists of books handy at a moment's notice. Aren't they?

Anyway.

So, I came up with this list so I could read back through it, say, "Oh, yes. I remember that book. The characters weren't fully developed, but the plot was intriguing." Or, "Dude--that one was full of lame dialogue," or "I have never encountered an author so playful in her use of language. That one was an absolute delight."

(These are, of course, phrases I keep handy in a little drawer in my room. Just in case anyone asks me to be a reviewer of books. You know. Someday. In the future.)

So, in case you all are curious about what I've been reading, and you haven't been keeping track on that handy little list off in my blog's sidebar, here's all the books I've read (or nearly read) since last July.

(I was really hoping to get to 100 in a year, but so far I've only got 90, and I think it unlikely that I'll read 10 more books in the next week.)

By the way, if you want my opinion on any of them, feel free to ask. Otherwise, just browse for yourself and enjoy the process of discovery.

************************************************************

  1. The Gift, Peter Dickinson
  2. Tears of the Salamander, Peter Dickinson
  3. Time of the Ghost, Diana Wynne Jones
  4. Aunt Maria, Diana Wynne Jones
  5. Hero’s Song, Edith Pattou
  6. The Lion Tamer’s Daughter and Other Stories, Peter Dickinson
  7. Waifs and Strays, Charles de Lint
  8. Fire Arrow, Edith Pattou
  9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J. K. Rowling
  10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling
  11. Austenland, Shannon Hale
  12. The Blue Hawk, Peter Dickinson
  13. The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman
  14. The Subtle Knife, Philip Pullman
  15. The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman
  16. Nicholas Nickleby, Charles Dickens
  17. The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
  18. Magic or Not?, Edward Eager
  19. Reave the Just and Other Tales, Stephen R. Donaldson
  20. Magic Kingdom for Sale – Sold!, Terry Brooks
  21. Fire Watch, Connie Willis
  22. Impossible Things, Connie Willis
  23. Inside Job, Connie Willis
  24. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Brontë
  25. Some Deaths Before Dying, Peter Dickinson
  26. A Morbid Taste for Bones, Ellis Peters
  27. The Birthday Room, Kevin Henkes
  28. Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman
  29. Green Boy, Susan Cooper (only read part)
  30. Wizards, edited by Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois
  31. American Gods, Neil Gaiman
  32. Anansi Boys, Neil Gaiman
  33. Stardust, Neil Gaiman
  34. Queen’s Own Fool, Jane Yolen & Robert J. Harris
  35. Dragon Slippers, Jessica Day George
  36. Dragonhaven, Robin McKinley
  37. The Dispossessed, Ursula K. Le Guin
  38. Angels & Demons, Dan Brown
  39. The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin
  40. The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown
  41. Rocannon’s World, Ursula K. Le Guin
  42. Planet of Exile, Ursula K. Le Guin
  43. City of Illusions, Ursula K. Le Guin
  44. The Word for World is Forest, Ursula K. Le Guin
  45. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party, M. T. Anderson
  46. The Eye of the Heron, Ursula K. Le Guin
  47. A Fisherman of the Inland Sea, Ursula K. Le Guin
  48. Four Ways to Forgiveness, Ursula K. Le Guin
  49. The Telling, Ursula K. Le Guin
  50. Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen
  51. Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
  52. Lady Susan, Jane Austen
  53. Phoenix and Ashes, Mercedes Lackey
  54. Wizard of London, Mercedes Lackey
  55. The Serpent’s Shadow, Mercedes Lackey
  56. Seventeenth Summer, Maureen Daly
  57. Forever, Judy Blume
  58. Gates of Sleep, Mercedes Lackey
  59. Fever 1793, Laurie Halse Anderson
  60. A Great and Terrible Beauty, Libba Bray
  61. The Arrival, Shaun Tan
  62. Bronx Masquerade, Nikki Grimes
  63. Just Listen, Sarah Dessen
  64. Unexpected Magic: Collected Stories, Diana Wynne Jones
  65. Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang, Paul J. Steinhardt & Neil Turok
  66. Book of a Thousand Days, Shannon Hale
  67. Rebel Angels, Libba Bray
  68. The Sweet Far Thing, Libba Bray
  69. Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
  70. Born Confused, Tanuja Desai Hidier
  71. Weetzie Bat, Francesca Lia Block
  72. Boy Meets Boy, David Levithan
  73. The Changeover, Margaret Mahy
  74. A Hero Ain’t Nothin But a Sandwich, Alice Childress
  75. The Ghosts of Now, Joan Lowery Nixon
  76. King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised Autobiography, Chris Crutcher
  77. Monster, Walter Dean Myers
  78. How I Live Now, Meg Rosoff
  79. Gossip Girl, Cecily von Ziegesar
  80. A School for Sorcery, E. Rose Sabin
  81. When Jeff Comes Home, Catherine Atkins
  82. Magicians of Quality, Caroline Stevermer & Patricia C. Wrede
  83. The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick
  84. Uglies, Scott Westerfield
  85. The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years Later, Caroline Stevermer & Patricia C. Wrede
  86. Rules, Cynthia Lord
  87. The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan
  88. The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama
  89. Scholarly Magics, Caroline Stevermer
  90. The Eyre Affair, Jasper Fforde

10 comments:

Joanna said...

Just so you know, whenever you and Debbie talk about books you read, I feel ashamed of myself. Like I feel when Becky talks about running and Mary talks about being crafty. I realize that I should do something, like maybe practice the piano out of sheer enjoyment. But I guess someone has to be the unproductive sister in the family.

Debbie Barr said...

^^ Jo, you are being productive by keeping that curious child of yours satisfied.

Also, WOW Beth! That's awesome! I wish I was that good about keeping track of books... I use Goodreads, but I only have about 250 total. Gosh, I need to read more.

trentathon said...

How did you like The Audacity of Hope?

Cathy said...

Beth,

Thank you. You just unexpectedly helped me.
You see, I'm forever resentful of "not having time enough to read", forever snatching minutes and hours. I can't overcome my addiction to the written word, and at times (frequent times) I have muttered against my lovely lot in life because I want to read even more. And yet, if I'd made a list from the past year? It would be longer than yours. I need to change my attitude. If you only have time to read 90 books (and maybe only the bibliophiles understand the only part), I need to squelch my resentment and remember how blessed I am.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Do Dr. Seuss books count? I'm sure you could get through at least a dozen of those in the next six days.

As for the need to read more (or less), I find I'm addicted to the written word, too, but most words I read these days are online. Many of them are informative or inspiring, some are just fun, others are downright insipid. They all seem rather fleeting, though, and I think I would do well to pick up an honest to goodness book more often.

kia said...

Hmmm...I really need to turn in my med-school apps so I can feel less guilty about reading all the time (which I have been doing non-stop since I graduated and became unemployed). So many good books...so little time.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Cathy--your comment just made me think, "Wow! I wonder if being in grad school makes you busier than being the mom of three kids!"

And then I realized how ridiculous that thought was.

I'm just too lazy to read more. Also, I spend too much time on the internet. That's all.

:)

Becky said...

Hmm. I read about 1/7th of the way through about 3 books in the past year, does that count? (Okay, I think I finished a couple, but not many.) And I totally agree with Debs, Jo. Trying to raise two squealing, pooping children to be two handsome strapping boys is a massive undertaking!! ;0)(And one that you're doing so well, too!)

Palomita said...

I am thouroughly impressed. I've been on a reading (listening, really, since most are recorded books), and I think I've read 9 since we've been home from Utah. I felt really good about that, too...

Pat said...

Oh, my! You read all those, work, and go to school too? I'm nearly burned out on reading, and I've only done 1/4 of that this summer.
Kudos!