Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Interlude

So, I wasn't going to post anything until I got my bit of fiction finished (which is one reason why I haven't posted in awhile, because I have been doing a lot of not writing it)...

But I have to tell you about this.

I just have to.

Because you will be utterly jealous, and I kind of really want you to be.

This evening, some friends and I went to see the Boston Pops, because John Williams was conducting, which, as you know, makes the experience extra awesome. Because John Williams rocks.

Anyway--so we had tickets for the orchestra (which is a large open area on the ground floor) which means that we got to order food during the performance. So, I got Boston Creme Pie. While watching the Boston Pops. (Also, root beer.) How. Blasted. Cool. Is. That.

The music was, of course, fantastic; the orchestra played bits from Far and Away, Dr. Zhivago, the theme from the Julia Ormond Sabrina, Lawrence of Arabia (one of my favorite films), and the bulk of the evening (the second half) was taken up entirely with music from the Harry Potter films. One of the best parts of the experience was that they had montages from some of the films while they played the music. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it was awesome.

Then, when the performance was all finished, the audience was reeeeeeaaally enthusiastic. Like, they wouldn't stop clapping. So, we got an encore performance of, GET THIS, a piece of music from the new Indiana Jones movie. Mwahahaha!

Then, because the audience was seriously clap-happy, we got a SECOND encore, this time the major Indy theme.

And THEN, we got a THIRD encore, which was the E.T. theme.

After that, John Williams had to pantomime going to sleep before the audience would finally sit down and stop clapping. Seriously, folks. These performers just might want to go home.

Anyway. Now that you've all turned a wholly satisfying bright shade of green, I will leave off for this evening.

You can thank me later.

P.S. For pics, check out my roommate Pinto's blog.

16 comments:

Heidi said...

no, YOUR post is cooler because you have all those informational links!

Mama M said...

I have had the Indiana Jones main music theme stuck in my head for days. Everything under the sun is being advertised and promoted with a tie to the great IJ and so the music is IN MY HEAD! I find myself humming it while I wash the dishes or walk through the park or hunt for my dead friends.

That John Williams fellow has a lot to answer for.

(And I AM jealous, thank you very much!)

Charlotte said...

I am definitely green with envy. By the way, I know you'll think this a travesty, but I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia! Do you have it?

Palomita said...

Ooooo... I'm SO jealous! I haven't been to any concert since my last one of the MoTab tour last summer.

And, if you have Lawrence of Arabia, bring it when you come in 8 DAYS!!! Can't wait to see you!

Palomita said...

And, hurry and write the next chapter of your story, okay?

Becky said...

I too am jealous. Man oh man. I guess the only thing that will make me feel better is if you go see the new movie w/ us when you come! :)

Lindsay said...

Luck-eeeee!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

You're right - I'm totally, TOTALLY jealous.

And since I just noticed you're reading Audacity of Hope, I'm totally, TOTALLY curious to know what you think of it. It's currently on my short to-read list (which is still pretty dang long, as I'm sure you can appreciate).

Debbie Barr said...

Jealous!

Also, midnight-blue striped shirt on you = fabulous!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Sadly, I do not own a copy of Lawrence of Arabia. This makes me feel all empty inside. But it is currently on my wish list. So, I will lend it out (or watch it with people) as soon as I can get that copy. :)

Kim, I really like it. While I don't agree with everything he says, I admire the way he's able to see both sides of an issue, and then gives good reasons for the side that he chooses, while still acknowledging the valid concerns of the other side. If that makes any sense whatsoever. Essentially, I really like his ideology. Except I had to give the book back to the library, so I couldn't finish it. But I may buy a copy of my own.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, and I meant by the 'don't agree with everything' comment that there are a VERY few things I don't agree with. Very few. For the most part, I find him quite persuasive.

Your Name said...

*turns a funny shade of green*

That is so not fair that you have such control over my skin coloring. Could you make me tanner instead?

John Williams rocks, and that is awesome you had three encores...

And I really want the rest of your story :D

Joanna said...

Have we shared Moosebutter's John Williams Medley with you? If we haven't, try to find it on the internet and listen.

Pat said...

Grrr... now I'm an icky shade of chartreuse...and I really don't look good in greens...

Anonymous said...

I don't know. All that tense, adventure music would make my boston cream pie come back up for another encore as well...

-BK

Adrienne said...

I'm extremely jealous!!!! I went to a Pops concert John Williams conducted, too - b'cept it was about 5 years ago... Anyway, I loooved it. And I wish I could have been there with you. Plus, haven't seen you in a while, so it would have been triply (word?) cool.