Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Personal History of Valentine's Day


It used to be that when a day like Valentine's Day rolled around (i.e. a day that wallowed in its own gooey ickiness) I used to wallow myself. Usually in a dark room, listening to some sort of depressing music.

Usually I'd spend nights like that remembering, or not remembering, as the mood struck me. But, more often than not, if I remembered, I would remember in a litany--a rosary prayer running through all the lost loves of my life.

I'd start in kindergarten, with that blond-haired firstgrader that I wrote an "I love you" note to, move rapidly through junior high & into the high school years...Travis from seminary, Matt, Dan (Dan I would spend some time on), Jason... It was a litany of loss, it was me focusing on pain, on what I didn't have.

It's strange, but I don't seem to do that anymore. It's not that I've suddenly gained the things that I longed for then--I haven't. I'm still single, and rather overwhelmingly likely to remain so for some time. I don't even think I'm necessarily happier than I was then. I really spend no time at all wandering around in a rosey cloud of joy.

I wonder if I'm just better at distracting myself now. I have easy access to the tv, a laptop with high-speed internet, and my own little mini library to lose myself in. Whenever I feel a spout of pain coming on, do I switch on my computer? Watch an amusing but rather soulless flash cartoon? Grab the latest escapist novel I've purchased from Amazon?

Or maybe, I just don't allow myself to grieve anymore. I'm embarrassed when I'm miserable, as if I don't have any right to be unhappy--as if I know better. And maybe I do. Maybe I realize that, as lonely and unfulfilled as life can be, I'm still okay. I'm way better off than the child in India who works all day in a sweat-shop and comes home at night to a mat in the street. I'm better off than the girl who lives her life at the end of a needle, or under the bottom of a shot glass.

I guess the answer is, I don't know. I think it's a mixture of all of the above. Fill in the bubble for answer "D." Or maybe "E" for 'unknown.' (Man, I've taken too many standardized tests.) I suppose I'm only writing about this because I'm kind of amazed to find myself here, on Valentine's Day, still sitting upright in a relatively well-lit room, eyes & cheeks completely dry, and the only music playing in the background the soundtrack to some tv show my sister's watching in the kitchen. I don't even think I've eaten chocolate today...

And that, more than anything else, really shows me how much I've changed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Deep. And, rather thought provoking. I guess I picked the wrong time to read your blog, that is, if I were looking for humor. Which I wasn't exactly doing. Anyway, I'm glad that you weren't depressed on National Single Awareness Day. I couldn't help but feel a little envy, though, at school, when all those girls were getting flowers and candy and humongo plushies. Yes. Well, on yet another depressing note, this is your sister saying, "You were just in the room."

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Debster. THE Debster McGee?!?

Wow. I'm so glad you posted! And read! And I really should have had you read my funny posts first, because now you are irreconcilably convinced that my blog is serious. And not fun. Like your sister. *Sobs*

OH! THE SHAME!

Okay, all melodramatics aside, really do come back. Really. I promise to be funny next time.

Hellooooo, I baked you a cake! You have to return the favor somehow.