Friday, December 04, 2009

Airport tripping

I love taking people to the airport.

Except, I actually hate it.

But, really, I love it.

I love it because it's that last chance you'll see someone before they go off to Maine or Texas or Indonesia for a few days/weeks/months/years, and it's such a smorgasbord of teary embraces, promises to write (emails, nowaday, I guess...or texts) that really won't be kept (or if they are, by only one party), and maybe, depending on the identity of the driver and/or departee, some good smooching might go on.

Not for me, but hey--I recognize that it's a perk for some.

I hate taking people to the airport because, inevitably, bad airport karma comes and surrounds me like the dust that orbits Pig Pen. If I am the one doing the departing, this means multiple days of delays and foul weather that threatens to strand me in Omaha, Nebraska until 2012, when the world's going to end anyway, so it won't really matter anymore. If I am the one doing the driving and delivery, this means that A: The actual travelers will misremember their departure time and thus leave for the airport a full hour after they should have, or B: There will be a massive accident on the freeway that backs traffic up for approximately 400 miles. (Although, I gladly and gratefully admit that it is much better to be caught in traffic than to be in the accident that caused the traffic. The one today was a doozy.) This traffic will make the driver (me) frustrated, snippy, and also reckless, and the travelers will try to calm me with words of comfort and possibly medication.

So, to my dear sister and bro-in-law, I say this: I really hope you enjoy your few days away from the doldrums of regular life. Also, I'm sad we didn't get that teary farewell as you left, since by the time we finally got to the airport, the combination of our lateness and my crankiness made you ready to pretty much rocket yourselves out of the door the moment I pulled up to the terminal. (Glad you remembered to snag your luggage.)

Also, I will be more than happy to drive you or anyone else to the airport at pretty much any time in the future. Except, I think I may in the future demand that we leave a full 24 hours in advance. Just to be safe.

5 comments:

Palomita said...

Thanks for a great laugh tonight, and so sorry that it had to be at your expense! It all worked out in the end though, right? Love you! And, miss you terribly, of course.

Larkin Legacy said...

You hit the nail on the head. That is exzctly what being an airport "valet" is like. You do have your mother's writing gene. Beth. Love you much...Auntie

Mama M said...

So...my "ocd-edness" about leaving for the airport three hours before it is really needed begins to seem less and less ridiculous, non?

Now, if we could just cure me of the need to pack enough food to last twenty people a month every time we embark on a six hour road trip...

Cathy said...

I laughed. I should make plans to travel to an airport with you sometime soon.

I better have travel on the mind--my word verification is "metra", which happens to be Chicago's commuter rail system. Odd.

Janan said...

Hey you! So, I am watching a video I made on the mission . . . it started out with CRAZY BURR singing you HAPPY BIRTHDAY at 5 a.m. in the morning!! WOW!! Anyway, just wanted to tell you I am not sure how you put up with silly mE!!!