Monday, November 30, 2009

Sometimes a lack of posting means I will give birth to a novel in a month.

After perusing my blog stats, I've realized that my readership has dropped down to virtually zero. For the one reader who still checks this blog, (or possibly two? Are you a reader out there, person from Romania?), I wish to send out this apology:

I'm sorry.

You see, I've been a little occupied this month. I was in Colorado for some of it, during which time I accessed the internet only once and realized my unread emails had accrued enough mass to collapse into a supermassive black hole that is even now sucking in the entire internet, and from which I only just managed to escape with my life.

Also, there was that whole Thanksgiving thing, which involved a massive amount of time and energy. Energy which was expended on corralling and entertaining a tornado of children (I believe that's the official phrase for 'a group of children,' isn't it?), consuming vast quantities of turkey and pie (not together, just so you know), and playing fiercely competitive domino games with the adult family members (and one niece, who is even more competitive than the grownups).

In short, it has been a wholly awesome month.

However, there has been one more thing that has kept me from blogging, namely NaNoWriMo, which required all of the writing juice I could squeeze out of myself. (Writing juice is a lovely deep caramel color, with sweetness like honey and just a faint hint of lemon zest. And sometimes garlic.) So, you see, I had pretty much nothing left at the end of the day to squirt into the blogosphere. (That...that actually sounds pretty disgusting. Eugh.)

But now, behold, I have returned. And what's more, I have returned...

A WINNER!

Behold the mighty winner's trophy for those who vanquish the terrible NaNoWriMo beast and...

*Ahem.*

Sorry. Got a little carried away, there.

Naturally, my novel is nowhere close to being actually finished, although I crossed the NaNo finish line at rather an exciting point in the story, so I'm pretty confident I'll see this thing through to the end. (Unlike my last NaNo novel, which has been gathering virtual dust in a corner of my computer for the past three years.)

So, my blogging should be back on schedule, now. (That is, I'll blog when I darn well feel like it, and not before.)

And also, HUZZAH! For I have won! And maybe, maybe someday, I may actually be able to hold the novel in my hands, coo at it a little, and read it aloud as a punishment to misbehaving children.

10 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

Oh Beth. I miss your blogging goodness. *internet hug*

That is so great you finished! I am officially proud of you. And if you need help getting up the energy to finish your novel, maybe we can do some sort of team goal together? Like a chapter a week? 1000 words a day? Something? I really need to get my writing back into gear if I'm going to finish and edit a novel by the summer.

ANYWAYS I'm happy for you. And I'm glad you feel excited to finish, too! :)

Debbie Barr said...

AND I forgot to mention that while I am not sure about the Nanowrimo Beast, there IS a Nanowrimo monster:

http://spacestationnathan.blogspot.com/2009/11/nanowrimo-monster-has-taken-over.html

Larkin Legacy said...

Dearest Bethie: I am so glad you won!Yah! I wish I could say the same. But I feel successful for what I did do. Nanowrimo inspired a lot in me, even though it wasn't a novel! Good work and let me read it sometime, will ya???

Lindsay said...

Yay for you! And, yay, you're back! :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

You rock.

P.S. My word verification is "twings." I'm just sure that means something significant.

Reynolds said...

Congrats on the award and slaying the monster.

Mama M said...

The cheering echoed through the house. YOU WON!!! You are a novelist. Not a wannabe novelist. A real, finger-to-the-nubs novelist!

And it is lovely to have you back in the blogosphere. And also just under my feet. (That is to say, in the basement.)

XXXOOO, Mama

Unknown said...

I'm still lurking about though not in Romania :)

I think I prefer your month to our month of sickness.

I don't think I'm supposed to leave on a trip to Romania. Word verification: minopac.

And this is Cathy, not Ed.

LizzyLu said...

I wish I was cool enough to be from Romania. But no, I have to be from Boston. Yay for winning! Now you need to finish! Because I desperately need to read this novel as it takes the world by storm!

Palomita said...

Hey - I'm proud of you, too! And, just was reading Scott Westerfeld's blog, and he posted tons of good stuff about NANOWRIMO, just in case you hadn't checked out his blog lately. (BTW, was checking out his blog because I just finished Leviathan, which was REALLY good - you'd like it. After you finish the other 487 novels on your list.) Love you. Miss you. Mary