Sunday, May 17, 2009

When your church building burns down...do as the Romans do?

Those of you who remain glued to your newsfeeds from Boston may already be aware of this little tidbit of info, but the church building where I meet (yep--that one right across from the Longfellow House in Cambridge) burned to the ground this morning.

Yeah. Take a minute. Let it sink in.

Totally. Burned. To. The. Ground.

Well, MOSTLY totally. I mean, the steeple was still up by the time I left (about 4 hours after the fire started) and the walls were still intact (although the windows were not). But what I could see of the interior was a blackened, gutted mess. The roof is now more or less completely gone. If you're into the whole ghoulish watching-stuff-burn-up sort of thing, (don't worry or feel guilty about it--I'm sure pretty much all of you will click this link) you can view NUMEROUS pictures of the event in this guy's Picasa album.

Details? We were gathered together in the chapel, listening to the second speaker of a Stake Conference session that was broadcast to our building from Salt Lake, when the fire alarm went off. Everybody started looking at each other, (some, like me, rolling their eyes), and a few church leaders dashed off to see what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure most of us thought it had been caused by something over-cooking in the kitchen, or someone (possibly under the age of 5) pulling the alarm. Then, the presiding member of the Stake Presidency came up to the pulpit and asked us all to exit quietly. People shuffled out in a rather nonchalant manner, until we finally got outside and could see flames licking the underside of the eaves. By the time we got out to the grassy area in front of our chapel, we could see smoke starting to billow from the roof on the other side of the building.

Several firetrucks arrived as people continued to exit the building. (Everyone got out fine, by the way.) Within a few minutes, flames started shooting up from the roof, and the smoke changed from overcast-grey to nearly black. When the roof over the chapel collapsed, a general cry of dismay went up, particularly when the floor-to-ceiling windows in the chapel gave us a glimpse of the inferno inside.

It took a long time for most of the fire to be put out. As I said, I stayed for about four hours after the alarm went off the first time, and the roof around the steeple was still smoking when I left.

At one point, the fire had been contained enough to allow the firefighters to get into the institute library, so most of the members who were still around (a lot of us) plus many, many kind people from congregations who met near our building (including a group of Quakers who went around offering us snacks, juice and water), formed a long 'Book Brigade' that just made my librarian heart sing. We passed books in stacks from hand to hand from our building to another nearby building's basement, where they were organized, put on shelves, and triaged (as necessary) by a couple of ward members who had some expertise in treating water-damaged books.

So, I'm feeling pretty much flummoxed. And stunned. And really sad (even though I'm hiding it with a slightly snarky tone while blogging--it's simply my way of dealing with the trauma). I mean, that was the building I've attended the whole time I've been in Boston. And a lot of members have memories of it that go back way further than mine. I think even President Packer had spent time in the area as a...mission president, I think?

But, everyone is okay. Which is really the most important thing. And the books (or at least some of them) are okay, which is the second most important thing.

Or so says the librarian.

10 comments:

The Hurst Family said...

Beth, that is shocking and sad and takes me back to when I was eight and we lived in Alaska and our church burned down at Christmas time. It's nice to hear about the kindness of others. Hope you find a new place soon to meet together. The church is true even with no building. Love you, RaeAnn

Amberly said...

ummm, i totally heard about that earlier today because my friend's uncle i think must go to the church! he goes to MIT. his name is creed. he is young, 19. you should see if you know him. that's weird.

Becky said...

Beth, I'm so glad everyone was okay. That is so totally scary, though! But, again, so glad you're okay!

Reynolds said...

How many people go their whole life without witnessing such an event? Crazy. Glad you are okay. Books, too.

Mama M said...

The whole day yesterday seemed very weird to me, as I am sure it did to you also. We were with you just 18 hours before the fire, and said goodbye after our trip to Boston to see you AWARDED YOUR MASTER'S DEGREE!!! If we had stayed to go to church with you we would have been there for the fire and the free coffee-cake and the book brigade and everything!

Oh, and did I mention how proud Dad and I were when you were AWARDED YOUR MASTER'S DEGREE on Friday.

Big Week.

Glad everyone is OK.

Love, MOM

Adrienne said...

Right after I read this I saw it on the news. so sad! especially because it's got so much history. Looking at those pictures is a bit unsettling. I am so glad you and everyone else is ok.

By the way, I just read your mom's comment... congratulations, Beth! how awesome are you?!

Lindsay said...

Wow. Um...wow. I don't know what to say except that is crazy. I'm glad everyone got out okay. Do you have another place to meet instead?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hey, Amberly. I don't think I know Creed--he must be in one of the other singles wards in the area. (There's one for people who are about the age of 18-25, and two others for 25 and up.) But it's crazy how everyone's connected! :)

And Lindsay, there are a few options the local leadership is looking at. Several other churches in the area have offered to let us meet there while our building is being rebuilt; they'll let us know for sure by this Thursday.

And thanks, you guys. I've experienced this odd sort of shocked feeling every time I remember that the place where I met every Sunday is now no longer there. Thanks for your sympathy. :)

azrobisons said...

Dear Beth, I've returned to Arizona from Utah and got on your blog to see if you had any new posts about your wonderful, Awesome graduation with your Masters Degree!!!! What do I see instead? Oh, no! I am so incredibly sorry to hear about your church meetinghouse. I'm so glad everyone is o.k. That's a lot of people to have in the church if it was a Stake Conference when the fire started. Do you know how the fire was started or caused yet? I also saw and read a couple of your comments on facebook, but I don't recall you saying if you knew how the fire started yet. I would be so scared to have been in a burning chapel. I'm so very glad people rallied around to help, though. I'm very sorry about this incident! Do you have to repeat your Stake Conference another time, if it was broadcast from Salt Lake? Wow! On a happy note, though, Congratulations on the Masters degree!! Are you staying back east or coming back out west. I need to call you on the phone, I quess, and see what your plans are. I love ya'!!! Kellie

Palomita said...

I'm so glad everyone is okay - and so sad about your building. I looked at the pictures you linked - I can't believe how incredibly scary it must have been.

Love you, lots, and I'm so proud of you for graduating!!!

And I miss you. And I hope you get the job in Colorado Springs!!!