Saturday, February 14, 2009

Five reasons why I am (surprisingly) not bitter today:

First of all, let me confess that it still really, really bugs me to be sitting next to some (loudly) kissy couple who are somehow both sitting on the other's lap while waiting for the T in some underground station or other, where the sounds of smacking lips and giggles reverberate with a strange persistence unexplained by science.

Maybe that means I'm still bitter? Not sure.

BUT, I'm not bugged by Valentine's Day today. Not even a little. And let me tell you why:

1. There is not anyone I'm currently pining over. Somehow, I think being single on Valentine's Day becomes about ten times more difficult when there's someone you desperately want, who for some inexplicable reason doesn't want you. I am more than happy not to be in that state right now (and I hope never to be in it again), so the most angst I could muster up today would likely be in the form of a faint nebulous longing, or perhaps general irritation. Nothing big, like heart-wrenching, soul-tearing, cry-into-one's-pillow yearning. Nope. Not this year.

2. I have a brownie mix and two pints of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. (Er, just the Ben & Jerry's is in the freezer. Not the brownie mix. That would be weird.) 'Nuff said.

3. I don't have to pretend to be social when I don't want to be. If I want to stay in to read a book or cross-stitch or watch Master and Commander or Superman Returns or Persuasion, (and I often do), I can. No one is pushing me to go out into the freezing cold wind (although 'freezing cold' doesn't quite seem to convey the lacerating nature of Boston's winter air currents) to go to a movie I didn't really want to see anyway. Although, I guess this could be a bad thing as well as a good thing. But right now, I'm seeing it as a good thing.

4. I get really tense in crowded situations. Which would make dining out tonight (usually pretty much a must on V-day for any couple in which the male part does not cook) an opportunity for jittery nerves which would slowly and irrevocably evolve into a full-blown panic attack.

5. I like me. I like me right now. Which means that I like me on Valentine's Day as well as on a day that isn't Valentine's Day. Which means that I'm not going to stop liking me and start being unhappy just because it is Valentine's Day. I like that I'm going to be a professional librarian (cross fingers, please!) within the next few months. I like that I like books and dogs and PBS and that I have brown eyes.

So frankly, Mr. St. Valentine's Day demon, you're going to try a heck of a lot harder to get me to feel bad today. Like maybe make my refrigerator break so my ice cream all melts and I can't consume it while reading a delightful novel after all. (Not that I want to give you any ideas or anything. So you can just ignore that last bit, okay?)

6 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Huzzah for Ben & Jerry's! I'm glad you're in a happy place these days. :)

Wish me luck finding mine as I adjust to having two kids. Actually, wish my toddler luck, too. I think the transition will be tougher for her. I know we'll eventually figure things out and be one big, happy family, but the next few weeks or months will be a big adjustment for all of us.

Reynolds said...

I love it! Hooray for the brownies, good books, and PBS (I spend a lot of my time courtesy their talents). Glad your dad is doing better. Luv, Sis Newbold

Becky said...

Good for you, Bethy Loo! I'm happy you were happy. And I don't think it's a good idea for ANYONE to go out to dinner on V-Day! We sure didn't. There are just too many other people who do that. A nice romantic dinner is much more fun done at home with my kiddos, heart-shaped pepperoni pizza, and a fun family movie than in a crowded, noisy restaraunt full of strangers!

Mama M said...

Bitter isn't even good when it is chocolate. Semi-sweet and dark are OK, for chocolate and for Valentine's Day.

Oh, that rhymed. Quick somebody, put it on a candy heart.

Palomita said...

I'm so glad that you didn't have a bitter Valentine's Day. We didn't go out, either - who DOES want to brave a 3 hour wait for dinner? Not me, when I can cook an even more delicious, gourmet organic dinner at home for my whole family - and it costs less! (And if you move to Colorado, I'll make it for you, too!)

love you, Beth!

Heidi said...

Pleeeeeeeeeaaassseeee wrrrrritteeee morrreeeeeee.

Please.

Please please plase.

My friend-brain is melting.

It's messy and gross and ugly and green-brown.