Thursday, February 12, 2009

Daydreaming

Some people may daydream about kissing (although, come to think of it, I daydream about that, too). Some daydream about playing with dogs or being high-powered executives. Or being high-powered executives who play with dogs (well, I don't know--they might daydream about that).

Me? I daydream about a little place to myself, a little apartment or condo or cottage or yurt (if I happen to move to Mongolia) to call my very own. (Or rather, the landlord's or bank's very own, which I just happen to be leasing/paying off for a while.)

Yes. I daydream about buying towels and shower curtains and decorating the place with framed prints of botanical drawings and/or my cross-stitch projects, of purchasing sculptures of Chinese dragons and statues of Anubis to place on end tables and shelves, of having floor rugs and a couch I purchased myself and--joy of joys--a refrigerator I don't have to share with anyone else.

And maybe a dog. That too.

It's not that I don't like my roommates--I do. Actually, I like them a lot; they're fantastic gals, uniformly pleasant, who don't intrude too much and who give just enough support when one's dad is in the hospital having heart surgery.

But, I think I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to be on my own, to move away from the student atmosphere, to establish a life for myself.

Ready to grow up, I mean.

Which just begs the question: if I do get a dog, which breed should it be?

7 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

Cockerspaniel. I mean, isn't that what you always wanted?

Either that or a Collie.

Or maybe a Lab.

Something with four legs and a tail that will love you (so, sorry, no cats. ^^)

Debbie Barr said...

Also, m'dear sister, check out the latest from this youtube user I ADORE. (I bet you'd like her too.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/katethegreat19

Lindsay said...

Having a place to call your own is nice -- you don't have to share refrigerator space, for one thing, which I just can't seem to get enough of. But in your daydreams, be sure to include furnishings. It was nice to have roommates to helped furnish the home.

(Today's word verification? Joyest. Coincidence? I think not.)

Reynolds said...

Definitely get a dog - no cats. Cats have an overly snobby attitude. Daydream about whatever you want in a house... that's the fun part.

kia said...

Definitely a lab.

And I've totally been having similar dreams...a place of my own...in a new city...while I live the dream of becoming a rockin' doctor/scientist...

::sighs

Mama M said...

A maltipoo. Without question the most adorable designer dogs on the planet.

If you get one I will get one too. Just have to talk Dad into it. But since I have his been at his beck-and-call for the past 3 weeks, I'm thinking he owes me.

Really. Google "maltipoo" and take a look.

Oh, and my word verification is ingst. Poor man's angst. Weird, huh?

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I dream similar dreams about having more counter space and a patch of dirt to plant tomatoes in. And also berry bushes. And I'll know I've REALLY arrived when I get a rotating composter. Yeah.