Thursday, June 19, 2008

Out of the frying pan...

Well, I'm back in Boston again. It's odd--there's always this transition, or rather re-transitioning back to 'normal' life when you return to a place, things like which way you turn on the faucet in the shower, trying to recall where you keep your shoes, remembering just how dusty your room really is, being amazed at the ivy plant that survived three weeks without water.

It's kind of nice to be back again, though, even though it's kind of lame to be so far away from family again. I think I tend to get comfortable where I am, whether it's in Boston learning how to be a librarian or at home watching Star Trek with my mom and siblings--it's just the few days in between that tend to throw me off, days where I'm not quite sure where my foot is landing, days that I can't quite tell what I'm thinking or how to feel about it.

I like coming back, and I hate leaving--the problem is that they're all part of the same thing, and everything's all grouped together into one messy blob of tangled up emotions and I don't quite know what to do with it all.

So, it's probably a good thing that I'm leaving Boston again tomorrow morning to head off for a weekend trip to New York with my roommate. I've made an executive decision not to bring my laptop with me, mostly because it's just one more thing to pack (and it's kind of a heavy laptop), and it also means that I won't be using it to check my email every hour, which might allow me to actually enjoy my outing, rather than wandering about in a forlorn manner if I don't have any new messages from cool folks.

But, I will have my cell phone. So, those of you who need to call me (and report further on the absolute beauty and adorableness of my very brand newest wonderful nephew who was born today) should still be able to reach me.

I just may be inside the Statue of Liberty when I answer.

(Hah! So cool!)

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha! We're going to Massachusetts (the western part, not the Boston part) this weekend. Next time you should come to NYC when I'm here so we can meet up. :) Have a GREAT weekend!

Heidi said...

whoa. who's goin?

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Have fun, Bethy . . .

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I would love to meet up with you. :) And since I've discovered how (relatively) cheap bus tickets down to NYC are, I may be able to do it all again sometime.

Pinto, our mutual roommate Rachelle and I traveled down to catch the Broadway musical "Curtains," starring David Hyde Pierce. Who is blasted awesome. In fact, I have a song from that musical playing in my head...RIGHT NOW. Haha!

Thanks, Kim! I had a great time. :)

Debbie Barr said...

I hope New York is going (or did go, I'm not sure when you come back) great! I look forward to all sorts of exciting blog posts by you in the nearish future. :) I miss you!

Palomita said...

Hey, we miss you. A lot. Especially Sarah. She's been trying to blow raspberries - I think you inspired her.