Thursday, March 30, 2006

Could it BE? A sign of LIFE?

I have lived with an African violet plant for some time, ever since my roommate Kim (Hi, Kim!) gave me a cutting from her own African violet. However, in all that time, in all that watering, in all that sticking as near a window as I could manage, in all that squeezing old dead leaves off with my bare fingers, the African violet never bloomed for me.

Nay, not once.

But, times are changing, and the African violet is at last putting forth signs of life. (Well, at least a more colorful sign of life than the monotonous green it's been sporting for the last several years.)

Here is photographic evidence of my claims:



And, if you're looking for more evidence, (you evidence-greedy individual), check THIS little baby out:



Awwwww. So cute.

And, um...I think that's it for my post. I really don't have anything more to say.

Except that plants rock. Yeah. That's it.

10 comments:

Becca said...

Congratulations on your new arrival, you proud plant parent, you! Can we look forward to more pictures once it blooms? (I could use a new photo for my computer wallpaper.)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Indeed. In fact, I hardly think I'll be able to restrain myself from snapping photos of the bloomin' thing once it...er...blooms. Heeeeee! :^D I'm so gosh darn excited about this!

Christian said...

I dunno. It kinda looks like it's growing an eyeball. You're in mortal danger. Better nip this thing in the bud.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ugh! EWWWW! That's gross. It's SOOOO not growing an eyeball. And, I'll prove it to you. Sometime. Not now, because currently my laptop is dead, and I'm using my parents' computer out of sheer desperation. But, sometime in the next few days (or weeks), I will PROVE that those buds you so callously refer to as eyeballs are, in fact, lovely flowers.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Its mamma plant, which came from a cutting of MY mom's violet (that sounds almost Freudian) took a long time to produce its first blossoms, too. It's currently putting out little buds of its own here in California. Gotta love spring.

Btw, Christian, I hear there is a rare strain of African Violet that does produce lethal, laser-emitting eyeballs. They tend to be particularly aggressive toward red-haired, piano-playing med students. :)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

*Sniggers relentlessly at Kim's comment* Hehe! Laser-emitting eyeballs...*Chortles*

Anonymous said...

I think it looks more like a head...a "FEED ME SEYMORE" kind of head. But don't worry Beth. I'm sure it'll be friendly.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh! It IS friendly! SERIOUSLY. If only you guys could see the lovely, pinkish purplish blossom that has entirely unfolded since I took those pictures! Alas, if only my laptop were working. Sigh. I'll get blossomy pics up here SOMEtime...

Anonymous said...

I think having a laser-emitting eyeball plant would be extremely appropriate for Deth Rae...
Incidentally, my African violet cutting has been blooming madly ever since last summer, with hardly a pause. It hadn't bloomed much before then but it seems to respond to trauma. First it wasn't getting enough sun and I left it on our front porch to catch some morning rays...only it caught midday and afternoon rays too and was nearly frizzled up! Then it underwent a Morgan attack and was ruthlessly pushed from its perch and went kablooie (sp?) on the floor, losing half of its foliage. After that, it was time to bloom!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I KNEW I should have tried to kill it first....